Saturday, December 23, 2006

Santa Shows Up

A couple of weeks ago, I went into a local burrito place after my gym workout. I got in line, ordered my usual burrito and moved on down toward the cashier. As i did so, i noticed there was some playful banter going on behind the counter. I heard the cashier say to another young woman, “you’re just being nice cause you think santa is gonna come visit you”
Other woman says, “shoot, there ain’t no santa.”

This really caught my attention. I looked up and said, “what, you don’t believe in santa.?”
She was caught. She looked up at me and just grinned and shook her head no. “wow. Ah, man, you Gotta believe in Santa” I said.

I paid for my burrito and left.

Of course, this was just a good-natured ribbing/teasing going on. The young woman was african-american with a sweet smile, and couldn’t have been more then 24. I left and kept thinking about her and that i wanted to do something for her before christmas.

Fast forward to this past week. A few days ago I went into the burrito place and talked to the same cashier who had waited on me before. I asked, “do you remember the girl who said she didn’t believe in santa claus?” “Yeah, it was Janet.”

“Is Janet here tonight?”

“No, she’ll be here on Friday.” The woman smiled at me like she knew i was up to something.

Fast forward to yesterday, Friday December 22.

Someone at work had given me a very small palm sized tin with a gift card in it. I took the gift card out and replaced it with a $50 dollar bill and went down to the burrito place.

I saw that Janet was working and there were no customers in line. I went up to the counter and asked, “Are you Janet?”

Looking at me a bit suspiciously, she said quietly, “yeah..”

“Do you remember i came in a couple of weeks ago and you had said you didn’t believe in santa?”

She smiled and blushed a bit and tried to recall the conversation.

“yeah, i think so..did i say that? yeah, i guess i did.”

I looked at her, smiled, and put the tin case on the counter. Sliding it over to her, I said, “well, santa wants you to have this.”

She took the tin, opened it, saw the $50 bill and exclaimed, “oh my god, are you serious!!??!!”

“YEAH” I said

She was laughing, smiling and walked over to my side of the counter and gave me a great big hug. “merry christmas.” I said
We parted from the hug and i pointed to the tin and said, “i hope you can buy something for yourself”

“oh my god, thank you so much. thank you. thank you. thank you.”

Another big hug from Janet.

We wished each other another merry christmas and i left. Once i got outside and out of sight, i let my feelings out...my laughter, my smiles and i jumped up and down. i was so damn happy. i cannot even tell you. my words will never do the moment justice. the look on Janet, a stranger’s face, was so remarkable. She was utterly stunned by the gift, the gesture. She was thrilled. To watch the transformation of her face from the time i walked in until the time i departed was priceless. I was so happy to do this act..to give this gift.

Who knows what the money will be able to buy. Maybe a gift for a child she has? Maybe a gift for a parent? A boyfriend? Herself? I don’t know and it’s not my business to know. I’m just so freaking happy i thought to do this and that i had it to give. It was my pleasure.

And to me, this is what Christmas is about.....

9 comments:

Kelly said...

You are embodying the true meaning of the season, AF. You put a smile on my face and a tear in my eye. I feel blessed to know you, even just a little bit.

Merry Christmas!

Maggie said...

I love it! That is the best Santa story I've heard all year!

Way togo Santa!!!

Zoe said...

That was a really amazing thing you did.

afuntanilla said...

thanks, all and Merry Christmas to each of you!

storm indigo said...

how amazing you are! 'Tis the season.

Merry Christmas to you!

Middle Girl said...

Joyful and Triumphant.

Merry Christmas to you, Santa!

r.d. said...

Nice job afunt- may it be returned to you as well.

SassyFemme said...

You are an amazing person! That is the VERY BEST thing I've heard/read that someone has done in forever! May the kindness that you shared be not only passed on to others, but also returned to you!

afuntanilla said...

thank you for all the nice comments, YA'LL