Wednesday, December 20, 2006

boxes

The assumptions we hold about one another put us in little boxes that limit who
we can be in each others eyes.

It is all too easy to put someone in a box. I think we do it all the time whether we know it or not. We put people in boxes...we probably even put our blog buddies in boxes. It's not right or wrong, it just is. Yet, as we do this, it is easy to KEEP someone in a box. We also put ourselves in boxes, don't we. We use words like, "can't", "not able" etc... We put ourselves in boxes too and it's tough sometimes to get out. My charge for today for anyone who reads this is to take a moment to see what box you have yourself in. What box do you have someone else in? Can you open the box? Could you be willing to see something else? It might be easy, it might not be. But, isn't it worth a go?

5 comments:

Kelly said...

Great food for thought, AF. The "box mentality" for ourselves and others is limiting and stifling. I may have some downtime at work today and I'm going to make a list for myself of just what boxes I've created for myself and others.

Thanks for the great idea!

Zoe said...

So true. I've got to cogitate on this for a while.

Middle Girl said...

Hmm..Agrestic (If you're not a fan of Weeds-this means nothing)-not just boxes but tiny boxes..

The box is opening, the next thought is the shedding of the packing peanuts...progressing.

Great morsel.

Theresa said...

Thank you. This is great to think about. I feel less confined already.

Random Reflections said...

What you write really made me think. One of the things that frustrates me the most is people assuming that someone can never change and still seeing them as the person they were x number of years ago.

I'm sure I am guilty of it too, but I like to believe that everyone has potential - even me!