Friday, December 08, 2006

one time...

>>It wasn’t ALL bad. Of course, it wasn’t. There were a few good memories. I recall such one during Christmas. Actually, some of my most pleasant and joyful memories are those of the biggest and most grand holiday of the year. And because of this simple fact, i might wonder why i, personally, don’t put more of an effort into Christmas...to make it special and memorable for myself. Well, anyway...
It must have been Christmas 1980. NIKE was very popular at that time (when hasn’t it been popular?) But back in 1980, there were true Waffle bottom shoes. They were the coolest. The neatest. And, the shoes that I HAD to have. Not only because I wanted to fit in with the rest of my 5th grade classmates, but because I wanted them badly and I rarely wanted anything, much less voiced the desire.
Considering we were what they call a “low income family”, I had little hope I would actually get the shoes. I knew it was one of the most expensive things and the possibility of me receiving them was slim. Oh, have i mentioned that at this time, I still believed in Santa Claus? I bought in to the whole story. It wasn’t until maybe the 6th grade where my belief was shattered by a boy by the name of Eric Landt. I felt stupid. So behind the times when everyone else seemed to know it was just a fairy tale. Everyone except me. Well, back to the Christmas at hand. As usual, on Christmas eve, us 4 kids pushed the boys 2 twin beds together and the 4 of us slept side by side in my brothers bedroom. It was one of the only traditions we ever had. We awoke in the darkness of a winter Christmas morning...all 4 of us scurrying to see what Santa had brought. Well, that year, I cannot remember what Santa brought, but i do remember opening a special gift mom had set aside for me....my red Nike waffle shoes. red with a white stripe. I was thrilled. I couldn’t believe she got them for me. I had no idea how she afforded it. I think this was about the time i began to believe in miracles and understood how much my mom loved me. We had nothing and yet, she gave me everything with that one gift. It wasn’t even about the shoes...but the fact that she knew i wanted those more than anything and made it happen. There was a miracle...on 465 W. Broadmoor Street.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely, AF. Those "miracles" are the best kinds of gifts ever. :)

Maggie said...

I love those types of miracles.

I try to do those myself every now and then.

Middle Girl said...

I've been having some trouble with my *spirt* of the season--until just now. As a child I never experienced that particular kind of event--as a parent, adult, I have tried-to bestow just a few-that wonderment, the pure joy-that look is priceless.

What a very special gift to give, to have. Fantastic memory.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful thing to remember at Christmas! I admit your story choked me up a little. It made me remember all the Christmases with my mother. That is a gift in itself

SassyFemme said...

What a wonderful memory! A mother's love can truly bring some special miracles.

r.d. said...

Memories like that last a lifetime. Along with warm thoughts like waffle bottom shoes and your mom's generosity. That was cool afunt, thanks for sharing.

Theresa said...

I can't help but wonder how excited your mother must have been to watch you open your gift.

Great story!

afuntanilla said...

thank you for all the warm comments everyone!!