Saturday, November 04, 2006

Snipets

Wednesday I went to get my haircut at a quaint salon down the street from my house. I had only been there once before and because I couldn't remember who it was who cut my hair that first time, they assigned me to someone random. (which was fine with me) Random hairsytlist was very friendly and chatty. Let me say that when I engage in things like getting a haircut/massage etc...anything about personal/self care...I am not chatty. I like to close my eyes, enjoy the experience, and drift off... Anyways, before shampooing my hair, she asked me a few style/cut related questions. When she was washing my hair, she asked "what do you put in your hair?" "Aveda Confixor", I said. "What does the confixor do for you? What do you want it to do for you?" WOW. Great questions. I was so taken aback by the questions or the way she phrased them. No one has ever asked me about the Confixor before. Not friends, not hairstylists. Soon, we were back in the cutting chair and she proceeded to ask me more questions and by this time, I felt fine to talk and engage. Rather than asking me the usual small talk questions she asked me things like, "So, when you travel, where do you go?" "Where have you met the most interesting/coolest people?" For the first time in a while, I was challenged to actually think about my answer. I love these kind of open ended questions. In my workplace, people ask the same questions every day or every Monday and then Friday. "How was your weekend?" (MONDAY QUESTION) "What are you doing this weekend?" (FRIDAY QUESTION) I really don't even answer. I cannot even tell you the last time i asked these questions of people. It's not that i don't care, but there are other things i'd rather ask...things that actually have me be more engaged with the individual, rather than have me or them give a snyopsis of an event. Random hairstylist also said something else that made me take notice. "I have never been out West", she said "That is a place i'd like to go. I'm a little bit granola, myself." She added. What cracked me up about this was that the woman looked nothing like what i would call a GRANOLA GIRL! She had a nice matching outfit on, nice shoes and beautiful hair. I mean, I AM MORE granola than she is. Anyways, it was funny in a great way. She also mentioned she has lived here in Atlanta for 8 years and does find it difficult to meet friends who are not shallow. HALLELUJIAH! I thought. Someone else who actually thinks somewhat like I do.
What a freshing experiencing this was. Oh, and random hairdresser did a great job on my cut. I'll be sitting in her chair again.

MY RECENT RANDOM ACT OF KINDNESS: this evening as i was headed north on GA 400 HWY, there is a toll booth. It is, I believe, the one and only toll road in GA. As i was getting ready to pay my 50 cents, I handed the toll booth girl and dollar adn said, "he doesn't know if yet, but i am also paying for the guy behind me." She smiled, "ok".


Last evening, I went to see a movie called LITTLE CHILDREN. If you want to see a non-hollywood film with great acting, a gripping story and a freaking hot sex scene with Kate Winslet, go see the film. You will get your money's worth. Great movie, I thought. Thought-provoking, and a lingering check with out morals, beliefs, prejudices.

12 comments:

Kelly said...

You gotta love the Universe and how it provides those wonderful interactions that we don't anticipate. Experiences like you had with the hairstylist make living so much fun, in my book. Glad you enjoyed the conversation and the haircut. :)

Also kudos for the toll paying and thanks for the movie recommendation. I've heard "Little Children" is definitely worth seeing.

Trinity2 said...

That sounds like a great hair appointment! I hate it when hairdressors ask mundane questions when they are cutting your hair or telling you about their own dramas. Like you, I like to relax or be engaged.
Granola - yeah, did you have on your burks? ;-)

Middle Girl said...

The chatter in beauty salons was a primary reason I stayed away.
Now I go to barbers, no less chatty-but rarely am I called upon to participate.

What a fantastatic experience to find someone who is of similar mind-especially where/when you least expected.

r.d. said...

Was she hot? (the hair woman)

afuntanilla said...

yes, actually she was, RD

r.d. said...

I knew it! excellent- any chance she was looking for a little more than small talk?

afuntanilla said...

R.D. >> i dunno. i'm a bit clueless in that area. :)

r.d. said...

Come on afunt!, what are you talkin about? I find it hard to believe you're 'clueless'- maybe just not tuned in. Shit, maybe you need to go back for another cut sooner that later and pay closer attention to the vibes. I'm just sayin.

afuntanilla said...

r.d. >> You crack me up!

r.d. said...

I'm serious!

SassyFemme said...

Your new hair stylist sounds like a great find! Ours is a sort of friend, so we get past all the superficial crap. My nail girl has the stupid weekend questions though.

Tracy said...

I have been going to the same hairdresser for years, and thankfully she doesn't talk to me at all. I hate small talk, big time. But would welcome a good conversation like the one you wrote about.