Saturday, November 18, 2006

a different color...

DECLARATION
(written 1/4/03)

I am leaving him

Today, at 4 o’clock,
I am leaving
I have packed my green suitcase
and I am leaving

I am lucky
I am not a battered wife,
A misfit mistress
Or a kept woman
I am not any of those things you might think
But, I am leaving
And I am leaving the deepest vacancy I can imagine

I am leaving the ice cold hands that touch me
And the hollow eyes that look past me
I am leaving the routine pleasantries
The choreographed gifts
The memorized replies
The tick---tock of a life that has strangled me

He is not a bad man
Not mean or cruel or sinister
He is simply
Indifferent

I am leaving for a warm hand,
A spontaneous smile
And eyes that will make me shiver from delight,
Anticipation

I am leaving
To laugh and love again
Today
At 4 o’clock

4 comments:

Maggie said...

Ooooh, close to home.

It's about 2:30 at my house

Middle Girl said...

1998 6:00 p.m. even afterwards, not nearly this eloquent.

SassyFemme said...

There wasn't a time, but there was a date, July 4th, so symbolic.

Anonymous said...

ironic...there wasn't a time, but i could hear the time winding down and everything becoming more and more unbearable.
i had almost forgotten.