Saturday, March 24, 2007

Big and small

(written yesterday via blackberry)

Sitting outside on the big patio like area of the 19th floor. I have a
nearly 360 view of the city of atlanta. Its a beautiful sunny afternoon
and I am the only one up here, savoring my lunch salad and some quiet.
I come up here to get away and get some perspective. I come up here for
air and to see the beauty and the vastness around me. From way down
below, I hear many horns intermittenly blowing...I hear the roar of buses
and the slamming of car breaks. There are green trees everywhere and
interspersed are many homes and buidings, small and then bigger
skyscrapers. And even more being built as I type. From my view, I count 10
cranes...all within maybe 1-1/2 miles radius.
I am all one for being a confident, self-assured person. I'm all for
being a go-getter, and for celebrating one's success. I'm all for
supporting myself and others to be big.

I also like being reminded of my smallness. Coming up here reminds me
of just that....my smallness. Just now, a plane roared up above...a
plane full of people going somewhere. And invariably, as I sit up here and
enjoy my salad and space, someone is giving birth, someone is breathing
their final breath, someone is being buried, someone is committing
suicide, someone is sending flowers to their love, someone is crying,
someone is laughing, someone is trying our for a part, someone is locked in
prison, someone is swimming, someone is screaming, someone is making a
bomb, someone is finding a cure, someone is getting starbucks in brazil,
someone is buying loads and loads of weapons, someone is getting high,
someone is getting off, someone is holding a child's tiny hand, someone
is wheeling someone around in a wheelchair, someone is....

There is so much happening all the time everyday. Everything is
important and nothing is important.
It's great to be big.
And it's great to remember how small I am.

8 comments:

Kelly said...

An incredibly beautiful, thought-provoking and entirely accurate sentiment, AF. It really resonates with me.

Thanks for sharing it.

poet said...

so true. take care and enjoy the fine weather.

SassyFemme said...

I LOVE this post! How very true!

Trinity2 said...

-and someone was riding around in their convertable with the top down BLARING music! ;-)
It sounds nice! We are small!

storm indigo said...

Sound like the perfect spot for perspective. As usual you offer beautiful clarity. Thanks.

Middle Girl said...

Wonderful observations, insights and expressions.

Zanne said...

Very insightful!

Theresa said...

When I’m flying, I like to look down and wonder about all the people below.
When I’m on the ground, I like to look up at planes and wonder about the people flying away, where they’re going and what they’re going to do when they get there.
Now, whenever I’m in Atlanta, I’ll be glancing up at building rooftops, wondering if there’s a hot chik tapping on her blackberry up there.

Nice post, sweet girl.