Sunday, December 16, 2007

freddie and the others

at this time of the year, i love waking up, opening my blinds, sitting in bed with a cup of coffee and looking outside my window. as i look out the window, i see a sight that somehow both intrigues and comforts me. there are lots of trees and of course, they are now mostly barren. what intrigues and comforts me are these same branches that for the 3rd year in a row now, are able to keep some of their leaves. as i look around to the other branches, they are empty. but, just these few right outside my window and in perfect view, have some leaves remaining. i’m intrigued because the leaves look very delicate and flimsy. yet, even after rain and wind, they remain. they are holding on for dear life. and at this time, i am always reminded of a book i recieved when i was 13; The Fall of Freddie the Leaf. It was a book about letting go, about dying. I recieved it after my mom died. I don’t actually rememeber much about the book except that Freddie was a lone leaf..he did not want to fall. But, all the other leaves had fallen, all his friends. So, while he clung on for dear life, he was alone. When I look at these leaves outisde, i think of them as Freddies. And soon, there will likely be just one out there on the branch; one Freddie. I feel like I understand why they stay and cling on...they are holding on to what they know...but, I aso understand the need to fall...to let go...and I get that they will fall when they are ready.

2 comments:

SassyFemme said...

We have one tree that still has its leaves. I held off on having the yard guy come in for the fall clean up, waiting for that tree to drop the leaves. It didn't. We now have about 16" of snow on the ground, with all the rest of the leaves under it!

r.d. said...

That book was great! (or is still great)