Sunday, October 28, 2007

help in the kitchen!

I CANNOT cook! Um...let me re-phrase this. I CANNOT FOLLOW A RECIPE. UUGGHHHH Every Freaking time I try to follow a new recipe, I botch it so bad that either it is barely edible or not at all. Tonight, it was the later. WTF??

I'm in my kitchen, delighted to try something new, happy to cook instead of go out or grab something to go. I had some Wynton Marsalis Jazz playing and I felt relaxed....up until I realized the sauce I was making for the pasta was pretty gross and I threw it out!!!! And because I never keep food stocked, I ended up just tossing a little olive oil on the pasta and put some parmesean cheese on it. That was what I ate for dinner. And then a bowl of frosted mini-wheats.

I was so discouraged. I don't know what went wrong, so please don't ask. 6 out of 7 days, i either eat out or get something to go. If I eat at home, it is usually a sandwich or cereal or mac n cheese. I used to cook more, but I don't really enjoy cooking in my kitchen. I do know how to cook some other things more involved, but i just don't. I just want to know why I can't freaking follow a recipe. And a friend of mine keeps giving me recipe books as gifts....I am gonna have to tell her to stop. They are of no use to me. I may as well just make the shit up as I go along.

I want to win the lotter for the sole purpose of being able to hire a LIVE-IN-CHEF

UURRRRRR

10 comments:

thethinker said...

I can't cook either. I stick to meals that are microwaveable.

r.d. said...

I would so be your 'live in chef' if I lived there... but no "live in" I need my space- you know?

Zoe said...

I'm guessing you failed Chemistry lab then.

afuntanilla said...

thethinker--good point. although, I don't have a microwave. by choice. Maybe I should re-think that...

r.d. - the door is open and you can have your space cause I need mine too. :)

zoe... chemistry? who took chemistry? maybe that is the problem...??

Kelly said...

A girlfriend who cooks (literally and figuratively) may be your best bet, AF! ;)

afuntanilla said...

kelly -- the last one did and yes, i do miss that part!

mitzh said...

I used to swear that I will never cook. But when the time came(being married and having a daughter, that is) when I really had to, it flows naturally.

Maybe one day, you'll be amaze that you can actually cook.

SassyFemme said...

Have you tried the Sandra Lee, Semi-Homemade recipes? They use many prepackaged items, and nothing fancy involved in most recipes. http://www.semihomemade.com/dinners/index.htm

Middle Girl said...

I don't like to cook and I wouldn't necessarily call myself a cook-but a recipe I can follow. It's the improvising that can get me in trouble.

My daughter, better at both--is more of the semi-homemade school of thought. Not a bad way to go.

Try, try again. :)

afuntanilla said...

i am determined to follow a recipe and have it come out kick-ass good. thanks for all comments, ya'll