Friday, July 20, 2007

Seattle - Part III

Friday: Woke & had coffee in hotel cafe. Went for a short but challening 4 mile run. Ran from the hotel and up into an area called Capitol Hill. Lots of hills through there - along with neighborhoody shops, cafes, etc...Winded through parts of downtown and back to the hotel. Nothin’ to exciting, but at least i got to see another part of the city if i wanted to go back & explore more.

After lunch, i went shopping again and ended up purchasing some trail running ADIDAS shoes. I couln’t help it. 30% off. Hard to pass up. Also bought a new skirt for work. Who-Hoo!!

Fast forward to the evening: Rode the FREE bus to SAFECO Field, home of the Seattle Mariners. They were playing host to Detroit Tigers and i decided to check out the game and stadium. I was lucky to arrive in one piece considering the herky-jerky way our bus driver drove. He must have tapped the breaks a million times. i am NOT KIDDING. A couple of guys exited before me and said sarcastically, to the driver, “thanks, that was fun”. Yeah, thanks mr. bus driver for making us all jerk back and forth in our seats. If you had back or neck problems, that was not the bus ride for you.

Bought a cheapie tix and wandered around the stadium. beautiful! I watched about 5-6 innings of the game and returned to hotel. Kinda tough for me to get excited about the American League game when i have been a National League fan my entire life. Neverthess, it was cool to be out on a gorgeous evening and seeing a new ballpark. These stadiums i now have under my belt: AT&T Park, Oakland A’s Park (whatever that is called) Atlanta’s (old) Fulton County Stadium, Atlanta’s (new) Turner Field, Coors Field, Citizen’s Park and now Safeco Field.

SATURDAY: ran in a different direction out of hotel. Just over 5 miles that took me very close to famous SkyNeedle and into neighborhoods a neighborhood called Queen Anne. Some hills, but nothing too steep. Much less traffic than last 2 days. One the return route, I ran closer to the water and was happy to suck in some fresh air. How awesome it has been to run in 70 degrees weather, on my own time frame and not to beat the heat or after long days at work. I have felt happier and less stressed under these conditions. i think also just a good change of scenery for my routes has been motivating.
Afterwards, I headed over the Pikes Market in all its glory. If you want fowers, that is the place to go. Flowers in abundance there: lily’s, roses, and buckets & buckets of sunflowers. AHHH -- it was gorgeous. A sunny saturday, lots of people out milling around, shopping, eating etc... I stopped into a little cafe to grab a snack and sat and did some people watching. Shortly afterwards, I boarded the ferry traveling to Bainbridge Island. A thrill of a ride. I stood on the top deck and just soaked in the sights. The water, the islands off in the distance, Safeco Field, Qwest Field(home of Seattle Seahawks) and as the Seattle skyline as we moved further west. Bainbridge was definitiely a highlight. A quaint island with neat shops, restaurants, etc.. ate some incredible fish & chips at the Harbour Pub while drinking a Mac & Jack’s Serengheti Wheat Ale. AHH - delicious. Bought some books at an independent bookstore, which was a delight since i don’t think Atlanta has ANY! On my walk back to the Ferry, I caught a woman licking an Ice Cream and asked here where she got it. MORA’s was the place and my oh my! I had a scoop and 1/2. Full scoop was Mint with Shaved Chocolate and 1/2 scoop was Pistachio. I tell ya, that is some of the best Ice Cream i have ever had. I tried to savor it, but i slurped it down pretty fast. Ferry ride back was just as awesome as the ride over. Sometimes, you just gotta feel the wind on your face!!

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Sounds great, AF. Bainbridge Island and the ferry ride are nice.

I'm glad that you were able to de-stress and enjoy yourself. :)

r.d. said...

You should feel fortunate to have sat in an American League Park watching some real baseball- right?

I gotta give you some points for doing all that alone- I like being by myself most of the time but not when experiencing things like you did. Traveling alone is something I never got into but I admire it.

Cheers to the trip and may there be tons more in your future!

SassyFemme said...

A 4 mile run is short??? OMG!

Sounds like you're having a great time. Enjoy!