Sunday, July 15, 2007

Seattle Part II

After dropping my bags off in my room on the 42nd floor with a wonderful view of Puget Sound, I headed out the door for some grub. Luckily, the place the front desk recommended for my famished self was directly across the street. At the Icon Grill, i sucked down a delicious cup of yellow pepper soup and a caesar salad. Afterwards, i walked up the block and into the heart of downtown with a Starbucks on every corner. There were tons of people out, lots of energy and a band playing “i get by with a little help from my friends....” song. Festive indeed, especially with the sun shining upon us.
I walked into an ADIDAS store. Oh my!! I was gonna be in trouble! They were having a sale where almost every shoe was 30% off and I saw about 3 that i liked. yikes! I restrained myself & only bought a pair of sweatbands, while giving myself an opportunity to THINK about buying ANOTHER new pair of running shoes.
I felt my food was digested after a bit so I went back to hotel and put my running gear on. I was not gonna go far. I was exhausted from the week and the travel, but after not running for 4 days, I really ached to get my body moving and plus, I wanted to get up close and personal with the water!

One of the best thing about running is that you can use it to explore a new place and that is exactly what i intended to do. I asked the concierge about dinner options and she directed to me a place called Il Bistro which was located in Pikes Market...in the direction I was headed.
I hit the streets and headed west. Zigzagging through people and cars & up and down some small hills, I found Pikes Market, Il Bistro & lots of other things. I went down some steps, crossed the street and was running parallel to the water. How does one describe the smell? It’s so distinct. I could smell it before I could see it. AHHH > > > > the water. I could see clear across to whatever islands were out there... Bainbridge, Vashon.
I started smiling and took some deep breaths....so happy was i to be at the water again!
Fast forward to dinner time and i walked back to Il Bistro. A quaint and quiet little Italian spot. I was all ready to order some pasta when i heard about the special. It was too tempting to pass up:

Dinner > Grilled Halibut, Fennel Mashed Potatoes, Heirloom Tomatoes w/ Basil.

YUM, YUM, YUM. I don’t think I have ever tasted better Halibut.

I walked back to the hotel, read some of my book and crashed. A tired traveler....

6 comments:

Maggie said...

Oh yay! That sounds like heaven!

r.d. said...

Shit, I can smell that water from here- hey did you grab the matchbooks? Sounds great afunt, I hope you soaked it all in.

afuntanilla said...

r.d -- i have found no matchbooks!! bummer, so far.

Trinity2 said...

The food sounds wonderful!! My mouth was watering just reading about it! It sounds like a wonderful place!

Kelly said...

I loved Seattle the one time I was there. I'm glad that you're having fun. :)

storm indigo said...

Hey AF, the food sound fabulous, but I ache for the water. Enjoy