Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Crime on the rise?

This morning, my co-worker told me that last night his truck was broken into with a slim jim. A bag was stolen that contained his checkbook, ipod and some other things. The perpetrator could have thought the bag had a laptop inside. No damage was done to the truck. The bag was recovered, but the IPOD was gone.

I came home tonight and there was a note in my door. it was from the property manager of the building. The note said that a tenant was robbed at 12:30 am last night by 2 men at gunpoint. They took his wallet.
A pretty unnerving note to get after getting home after a good, long day at the office. Especially because I think i live in a safe neighborhood.

I mention these things as just something to say to all of us to be aware. Try to be aware of your surrounding...

Just as a side note: economically, things are tough for a lot of people and both these crimes were about money or a way to get money.


Be careful out there

6 comments:

Trinity2 said...

I believe it! There have been a rash of crimes in my neighborhood lately, too!

Zoe said...

It's amazing what a jolt it is to have your home or your property violated. I didn't sleep for weeks after my car, parked in my driveway not 40 feet from the house, was broken into. Of course to add isult to injury the theif(s) took a bunch of stuff and sorted through it while they fled, dropping unwanted items as they went. If you don't know this story or why that would be such a violation, read this post.

Kelly said...

You know, the older I get, the less sympathetic I am to the reasons why people commit crimes. I used to make excuses for their behavior but now, not so much. I can't justify someone deciding that it's okay to take your stuff or your life just because his or her life is hard. How does the criminal know that the victim's life isn't hard as well?

I guess I'm just getting more conservative in my old age. In any case, stay safe, AF.

afuntanilla said...

i am hearing that overall, crime in metro atlanta is down, but property crime is up! i do think this is related to the economy...no excuse, just a thought as to the reason. yeah..it sucks!! big time!

r.d. said...

It's everywhere Afunt. Keep your eye's open and head up- you'll be ok.

SassyFemme said...

That is scary. I've gotten very complacent since we moved to CT. We lock the house, but when I'm out I rarely lock the car unless we're in one of the cities.