Saturday, August 18, 2007

she combed my long hair and fixed it into something nice instead of my usual ponytail. she bought me my first ever pair of Nike shoes. she made the best scrambled egg sandwiches. she had pudgy fingers. she drank pepsi, coors. she loved motown music. she always referred to San Francisco as "the city", her hometown. she was loyal to All My Children & General Hospital. she bought me my first bike, a red Schwinn 10-speed. she saw me run. she listened to my horrible attempt at playing violin. she cried while reading every card i gave her. she was very sentimental. she liked to sing. she was strong in her convictions. she would not back down. she was open to all people, regardless of color, etc.. she enjoyed celebrating all the holidays. she made wonderful chicken and rice soup. she called me her angel. she said she knew i would make something of myself.

her name was Eileen Delia Funtanilla
she died at 40 years of age. today she would have been 64

Happy Birthday, Mom. Somewhere, their is a hellavua tear-jerker hallmark card addressed to you.

5 comments:

r.d. said...

Happy Birthday to mom and warm thoughts to you-

Kelly said...

She was certainly right about you, AF, and I have no doubt that she's extremely proud of you and is always by your side.

Sending you lots of love.

afuntanilla said...

thanks so much, rd and kel. means a lot

Middle Girl said...

H B-day to mom.

Peace be with you.

SassyFemme said...

She sounds like a wonderful mom. Thanks for sharing some of your memories of her with us.