Saturday, June 30, 2007

I remember being about 10 and running away. I ran all the way across the street and found a spot between 2 buildings. I kept looking across the street towards my house to see if she would come look for me.

I remember the four of us dressed in our Sunday best and walking to the 10:00am Sunday service at St. Leanders

I remember going to the drive-in to watch Star Wars. All of us packed into the chipped painted maroon VW squareback. Blankets, popcorn, candy, soda pop.

I remember writing her a "thank you for all you have done for me" note on lined dark yellow paper, putting it in the mailbox, and telling her she had mail. it was a Sunday.

I remember her buying the 45" of CHARIOTS OF FIRE and us listening to it before my first ever track meet. I ran the 100 yard dash and beat 2 close friends in the process.

I remember her pudgy fingers and cheeks

I remember her icy, cold looks

I remember her tears. rage.

I remember the smell of our car even though i cannot describe it

I remember "stealing" change from her coats & sweaters as they hung from the doorknob while she was sleeping

I remember packing the car full of stuff when we went to Lake Don Castro and Shawdow Cliff in Pleasanton for water slides.

I remember car camping for the one and only time at Lake Camanche and feeling so free.

I remember being outside late at night with her and us saying together;

"Star light, Star bright
First star I see tonite."

5 comments:

storm indigo said...

bittersweet and tender
thank you

Middle Girl said...

yes, what storm indigo said. I especially love this image:

I remember going to the drive-in to watch Star Wars. All of us packed into the chipped painted maroon VW squareback. Blankets, popcorn, candy, soda pop.

Drive-ins...so cool.

afuntanilla said...

thanks, ladies!

r.d. said...

"I wish I may, I wish I might"

afuntanilla said...

thx, r.d. I cannot remember the rest.