Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Pour it on...

Got inspired to pitch my thoughts after reading
  • TRACY
  • and wanted to pass along something I read ages ago that I feel was burned into my brain.

    This is the true joy in life, being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one. Being a force of nature instead of a feverish, selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy. I am of the opinion that my life belongs to the whole community and as I live it is my privilege - my *privilege* to do for it whatever I can. I want to be thoroughly used up when I die, for the harder I work the more I love. I rejoice in life for its own sake. Life is no brief candle to me; it is a sort of splendid torch which I've got a hold of for the moment and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations.
    George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)


    One of the strongest things of my personality, is my passion and intensity. Sometimes, it may even be too much for people. But, I will not ever make an apology for wanting the best in myself and others. I will never apologize for demanding the best from the people in my life and myself. I know all too well that life is no brief candle. Having experienced loss at an early age, I am unfortunately/fortunately reminded of life, of death, and of the MOMENT...of the moment that calls me to live in it as much as I can. WHATEVER THAT LOOKS LIKE. If i am crying, then i should cry my eyes out. If I am laughing, then i hope i would laugh until my stomach is aching for me to stop. So often, people are caught off guard by my intensity for life, but it is also what draws them to me. I cannot be silent about knowing that THIS IS IT. THIS MOMENT. THIS IS ALL I HAVE RIGHT NOW. So, when i am with people, i want to know i am really THERE. I seldom want to just chit chat. Everything doesn't need to be heavy or overwhelming; what i mean is that the time should be as authentic as possible. THAT IS THE JUICE. THAT IS MY DRUG. Pour it on.....I DO want to be thoroughly used up when I die. I want to know that there is nothing left in my strong, little body.

    3 comments:

    Kelly said...

    That is one of my absolute favorite quotes, AF! Thanks for reminding me of it. :)

    Your passion and your intensity make you who you are. Never apologize for it. Revel in it.

    Life is too short for superficiality.

    Maggie said...

    My youngest child is the same way. As someone close to her, it's hard for me sometimes to comprehend. It's like being blindsided by a hurricane. After it's over, I feel like those palm trees you see in photos, tattered, bruised, but still standing.

    Trinity2 said...

    I agree with Kelly - Life IS too short for superficiality. Great post!