Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Groceries & Superwoman

Yesterday, I FINALLY went to the market to buy some groceries as all I hadand in my fridge is coffee, 1/2 & 1/2, cheese, butter, salad dressing, and eggs. I’M SERIOUS. So, my extravagant shopping entailed the following purchases: 4 Wallaby yogurts; 3 vanilla, 1 blueberry. This is the best brand of yogurt in my opinion. http://www.wallabyyogurt.com/ broccollini, 1 yellow bell pepper, top round strips for stir fry, 1/2 & 1/2, 3 bananas, Toblerone Chocolate, raw almonds, yellow squash. That's all, folks. That is a typical shopping experience for me. I just CANNOT seem to buy more. I have a mental block.
Anyways, as I was waiting in line at the check out counter, there was a woman a few counters away with a watermelon on the bottom of her cart. She looked around as if she was looking for help to get it onto the price scanner. She asked the big, tall gentleman behind her, but he had a limp arm and could not help. Before she could ask anyone else, I yelled out (much louder than I wanted to) "I GOT IT". I left my line and put the watermelon on the counter for her. She was most appreciative and I, well….I felt like a superhero. Maybe you had to be there to fully understand…but my loud declaration of "I GOT IT" sounded more along the lines of something from a cartoon; "Move over BATMAN & ROBIN, I'll HANDLE IT."

Needless to say, I was happy to lend a helping, spontaneous hand to the woman in the checkout line. Good deed for the day. Have you done your good deed for the day??


7 comments:

Trinity2 said...

I agree - Wallaby yogurt is the best!
One time when I was an inspector I was out in my county truck and saw a blind man (I knew b/c he had the cane that a lot of blind people carry) trying to cross the street in the pouring down rain. He was trying to attempt this in the middle of the road where there was no intersection. I threw my truck into park and ran out and got him and helped him safely accross. He was trying to get to the grocery store and I offered to wait for him and help him back accross and I did. It was such a great feeling! I know what you mean!

afuntanilla said...

that's great. I never heard that story before

Maggie said...

Blueberry yogurt is my favorite!!


For my nice thing today, I bought a gorilla lighter for an engineer.

Kelly said...

I've never heard of Wallaby yogurt. Do you know if it's out here in California, AF?

My main good deed for the day was stopping and chatting with Richard, the old man who holds out his paper cup for coins outside of Montgomery BART. I hadn't seen him for a few days and I was concerned. I dropped some money in and checked in to see if he was okay.

So, did you put your hands firmly on your hips and tilt your head back as you exclaimed, "I got it!"? ;)

afuntanilla said...

kelly- wallaby is DEFINITELY out there. look for it a whole foods, especially.

Kelly said...

Thanks, AF. I'll check it out.

Zoe said...

Never tried wallaby yogurt, I love Stonyfield Farms vanilla. We also have a local place that sells organic banana-mango-strawberry yogurt that is about the best thing on earth.

Sorry, I'm no superhero.