Saturday, April 14, 2007

Water

water is amazing. it can heal. it can hurt. it can ruin things, destroy things. it can be calm and soothing and it can be raucous and treacherous. it can take a life. it can save a life. too much of it and it can devastate. too little of it and it can devastate. isn’t it interesting how even with water, we learn balance. it teaches balance. a surfer needs to balance just so on the water to do their thing; runners need to balance their water intake with their output. farmers NEED water for their crops, grape vines need water to grow in order to turn grapes into wine. Less and less water, and there is drought. more and more water and there are floods. both damaging, both potentially very detrimental from an physical and economic standpoint. so many things are interconnected, interdependent through water, alone.

Water seems such a huge part of my days, my existence. i am constantly going to the breakroom at the office to refill my water bottles. (and thus, constantly, going to the bathroom)
i am constantly aware of my need to go to the store to BUY water. BUY water. Amazing, isn’t it. Isn’t it in great abundance all around us, but we need to PURCHASE IT? And like so many other products, their is a range from unattractive packaging to very sexy packaging. Is it a Coke bottled water or a Pepsi bottled water? A FIJI or an Evian or the Starbucks EOS? Or the even sleeker, sexier, VOSS bottled water? Even the water bottlers/companies have figured how to package something and charge outrageous amounts. We pay more for water per gallon than we do for gas. much more. just consider that for a second.....

so many people get so angry and outraged at the price per gallon of gas; what about the price per gallon of WATER?

When did we even begin to buy bottled water? i recall the first time i really felt like i NEEDED to: in 1992, when i traveled in Thailand and Nepal.

Anyway, i crave water. I crave it on a hot day when i am out running and have none. I am appreciative to go into a starbucks, all sweaty and parched and ask for a cup of water. they offer the COLDEST water out of any place i know. and when you just ask for it, it’s free.

I crave it while living in a city completely landlocked, with any big body of water about 5-6 hours away.

However, here i sit on a saturday morning, lucky to be in the woods, in a cabin nestled between 2 little creeks. Water flows by as i write and i can hear it streaming over the rocks and on it’s way to wherever it goes. I am grateful for the sound, the scene.

...Hence, this post on H20. Drink and be merry!

Cheers!

6 comments:

r.d. said...

I'm drinking it right now. I could never live where you do, I need to be close to water or I start to loose it. Hey Afunt, good thing you're not running the Boston Marathon tomorrow- it looks like it's going to be brutal! What's up with the cabin in the woods by the way...

afuntanilla said...

r.d. -- i know!! i feel for those folks running tomorrow. what crazy weather.

the cabin was sooo great. i just needed to have a little get-a-way!!

r.d. said...

Gotcha-

Middle Girl said...

I resisted buying water in the same way that I resisted buying a cell phone.

Convenience and cost, rather than sleek and sexy sold me when those times came.

I've yet to experience the sound, up close and personal, of water streaming over rocks. I imagine that it can be quite soothing.

storm indigo said...

I absolutely love the sound of water. a lake, stream, waterfall, does not matter what.

sounds delightful. hope you thoroughly enjoyed.

SassyFemme said...

I hate the idea of buying water, even though I still do it from time to time. It just seems so ridiculous that we should be paying for something (ie buying it at the grocery store) which is so freely available.