Thursday, April 19, 2007

had to blog about this...

it happened last weekend. i woke up saturday morning, in the little cabin rental, with a huge sold sore on my bottom lip. i have only gotten this maybe 2 times before, but never so bad or painful as this time.

so. before heading out for my trail run, i stopped into the Food Lion and bought a powerbar and looked for some ointment to put on this thing! i’m not too savvy with medicinal products, but i remember someone saying something about Neosporin.
So, i bought the neosporin. Nevertheless, it didn’t seem to work and so i just dealt with it. i guess you just have to wait these things out, i thought. the thing was pretty damn ugly for 48 hours, but by the time i got to work on monday, it didn’t look so bad. However, i just KNEW that some people would make comments about it, or just look at me funny.

So, of course, I walk in and talk to my buddy, AJ, and she says, “hey..Oh, YOU GOT A FEVER BLISTER”. As if i didn’t know. I don’t mind AJ saying anything cause she is my pal and even told me what medicine i SHOULD have bought.

As the day progressed, a few people i came into contact with simply said, “wow..what happened to your lip?” If i were quicker on my feet, i would have been able to say that i got into a fight or was kissing someone for too long or something really clever. BUT, I AM NOT QUICK ON MY FEET.

It just really cracks me up that people even ask the question: “wow, what happened to your lip?” I mean, they have no qualms about it. I would never ask someone that question. maybe a close friend, but not a co-worker.

Then, yesterday, i went across the street to the grocery store. Being that i go there about 4 times a week, i and the cashiers are familiar with each other. We don’t carry on conversations or anything, but we smile at each other and say hello. we know we recognize each other. When i went in at lunchtime yesterday, the cashier greeted me and then saw my cold sore and said, “oh, you have a cold sore” in her soft, somewhere accented voice. Her nametag reads FATITMA. She was sweet about it, like she was caring. However, this completely made me crack up laughing as I left the store. A virtual stranger making a comment about my damn cold sore. Up until then, I had no thought of blogging about it, but after Fatitma comment, i just had to.

People never seem to amaze!! What a hoot!!!

7 comments:

Kelly said...

You know, I find myself resisting the urge to stare at people open-mouthed after they've said something to me that I'd never dream of saying. I can totally emphathize with you, AF.

I hope the cold sore is better and I hope that those enquiring minds have stopped enquiring.

Middle Girl said...

As if you were unaware and you wanted it broadcast. WoW!

Maggie said...

I realized that people only comment on the negative things so I've really tried to comment when someone has a new haircut or something like that. Just because I know that every cold sore gets far more attention than something positive.

Hope you're feeling better. (Lemon balm works wonders.)

canadian sadie said...

The only thing worse is when they say 'wow, that's a big zit. What did you EAT?!'

People are so rude.

r.d. said...

That sucks. I would never say that to anyone, I hate making people feel uncomfortable. Hope it's gone by now.

Trinity2 said...

I am happy to know that you actually lead a functional life when you have one of those as I DO have friends that shut down, don't go to work and call in sick when they have them. Believe it!

storm indigo said...

people are amazing! I try to compliment someone if they look like they are having a rough day or are down...i may say something about their haircut, shoes, or cute handbag. people are often surprised and usually smile. i cannot imagine saying something that may make someone uncomfortable.