Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Reflections

Yesterday, I was caught in a moment that left me feeling a bit teary and I did not know why. Here is what happened. As per usual, I stopped in at Starbucks in the early evening. I was in my own little world, having finished work and in a bit of a daze. It wasn't until the little young girl spoke that I came out of my daze. She says to the barista, "Can I have THAT chocolate chip cookie?" I looked at THAT cookie and saw the size of it. It was huge. I thought of saying to the girl, "wow, that cookie is almost as big as you are." But, I didn't. She was with an older, taller girl (but still young) who looked like she was her sister. Then, little girl asks the barista, "how much are your IZZE drinks?
Barista reply, "I don’t know. I have to scan it" Little girl walks over to the drinks and asks, which one is the cheapest.
Barista reply, "they are all the same." Little girl picks out the one she wanted and barista rung up her items.
As little girl unfolded the waded up dollars in her hand, she heard the total and said, "oh, I don’t have enough. I will have to put the drink back."

In a total spontaneous moment, I said, "oh, I'll get it." The little girl looked at me and was going to hand me the drink as though she thought I was going to buy it for myself. I said, "no, I'll get it for you." It was a little jumbled. She looked confused, the barista looked confused, the other girl looked confused. After payment was made and everything settled, older girl says to me in her wide, brace-laden smile, "that was very nice. Thank you."
Then to her sister (?) "did you say thank you?" Little girl thanks me and they move on. I then ordered a tall half regualr, half decaf coffee and as I do so, I realize I feel such tenderness. My eyes water. The Barista fella just smiles at me.

Why did this moment touch me so? As the evening went on and I went about my business, it came to me when I wasn't even thinking of it…I knew why…

Because as so many things have been on my mind lately, one of those things is family and connection and the absense of blood-related family. I am struck by the not new realization that this is it for me. No kids. Nothing of me will go on. No trait or characteristic solely belonging to me will be passed to anyone else. Of course, I made a decision long ago that I never wanted to bear a child. I have never wanted the experience of being pregnant. When I was a little girl, I dreamed of adopting a child. Well, unless I come into some windfall of money, that will not happen either. Perhaps because of my age, 36, I am realizing some of the lost opportunities. I do not regret my choice to not want to give birth, but this does not mean that I don't feel loss of that opportunity to care for and teach and nuture and love a little human being as they make their way into this world.
I know there are plenty of other ways to be involved in a childs life, but its not the same. And there are other things involved too. I have never known my father and my mother is deceased and I was THEIR only offspring. So, truly, I am it. Something about that stoppage is sad to me.
I envy people who have long lineages. People who truly can talk about their family tree, their history. It's neat and valuable, in my opinion.

With every choice, we are making a decision that will involve loss and gain. Sometimes, I don’t think we realize what we lose, yet it seems we see the gains so soon. In a perfect world, I would have had the money and the stability both inner and outer, to adopt a child when I was a it younger. Of course, there would be no physical charateristics, but I would have had an opportunity to be a part of a life in a very unique way.

This is all sort of coming from who knows where…thanks for listening.

13 comments:

Trinity2 said...

I honestly don't think you want a child because you're too afraid she'll want to be the "ice scoop" girl at the hockey games. ;-)

r.d. said...

Thank you for sharing-
Ok, a couple of things came to mind when reading this. First of all, life has a funny way of giving you what you need and want, (as you know) so don't worry. Second of all if you ask me what you (not only you) need is to give and receive love then that comes in many forms-not just the blood related way and when it's your time all your other thoughts will go away. Our minds are used to thinking a certain way but our souls know better. Another thing is you made it sound like 36 is like 96- fuck I'm ancient then if I'm 42...

All that said, I do hear you. I can't even go there with all those thoughts of never having my own child. It freaks me out. I want a little scrappy looking redhead... but I too have absolutely no desire to be pregnant- none, so it doesn't make sense. I figure I was just never (for reasons beyond)meant to have my own children. I have to trust that and believe it's ok. It's hard but... well it's hard.
Maybe you are just coming into another belief around all this- we are able to change you know. Everything in the big picture will be ok.

Why do so many weird things happen to you in coffee joints?

Zoe said...

That is a pretty sobering realization. But, you are only 36, that's still relatively young. Don't get me wrong, I understand where you are coming from, except I'm 35, and I wouldn't mind being pregnant, though I also wouldn't mind adopting. It matters not to me where the kids come from, I just want some. It seems like every day is day closer to never having kids.

I don't know what the laws are where you live, but have you ever concidered doing foster care? It sounds to me like you have a tremendous amount to offer, and there are plenty of kids whose lives you could touch, if only for a short period of time.

Kelly said...

Wow, AF, you've eloquently elucidated so many of the same things I've been grappling with a lot lately. We are definitely on the same wavelength here.

I can totally share your feeling of being "it" as far as a family lineage. It's sobering but like you, I made the choice a long time ago not to give birth to a child.

I guess the hope is that the "gains" will outnumber the "losses" or at the very least, we can come to some peace with those losses.

That was a nice thing you did for that little girl. :)

Middle Girl said...

You are building a family with every act of kindness you bestow.

I hear you with regard to the finality. It is indeed a daunting thought. I have them as well.

Life..will find a way.

Poignant...My thoughts are with you.

SassyFemme said...

I totally love that you did that for the little girl. I'm betting she and her sister will remember it some day when they go to do something nice for someone.

I had the same thought as Zoe, re: foster care. Single women, gay women, all can be foster parents (unless you're in an ass backwards state, and I don't think you are). Also, adoption doesn't have to cost big bucks, especially if you adopt through the foster care system. Oh, one more thing, if you ever give thought to fostering, keep in mind that there are also gay/lesbian teens in foster care, who could use a strong, stable, foster parent.

Theresa said...

"With every choice, we are making a decision that will involve loss and gain."

This is so obvious, but so difficult to accept sometimes. We can't have it all. Some things, like choosing to have children, are very absolute. We can't be a parent AND not be a parent.

storm indigo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
storm indigo said...

AF, I am sending you a huge hug.
Thank you for sharing something so tender.

Zanne said...

That was a very touching story--tugged at my heart too. You know I think life is a series of gains and losses, but the kindness that you shared was definitely gain--to those girls, and in the world. We are all connected and I hope that somehow the reality of that will somehow touch you in a way that brings you peace in your felt solitariness. You made the world a better place in that moment, and I have now felt it all the way here in NYC. Blessings to you!

Fairy said...

yesterday i had 2 boys shopping from our sandwich bar,they were asking if their money would be enough,i said i wont charge u much don't worry..i gave them free pasta and a kit kat and reduced their sandwiches prices..they were so beuatiful,at that miment i really wanted to have my own baby..but like u i decided not to have any kids,it feels like i couldnt be a good mum..but i like to treat them kindly,as motherly as i can...

afuntanilla said...

trin- yes, i would be MORTIFIED if they wanted to be ice scoop girl.

r.d. -- THANK U for all you say! you didn't come across as wanting to "fix it" and even if u did, it would be fine. the post it just put out there and folks are free to say what they want or nothing at all. and i really know what u mean by just sitting with it....i think its great when people instinctively know when to say nothing when sharing with them in person. more difficult to do on blog. your unique comments are always welcome. your perspective is unique and appreciated!!

zoe- thx for mentioning foster care. i kinda forgot about that. i ralize that is an option...who knows...

kelly-- i know u get is especially being an only child. thanks, girl!!

only daughter-- u are right!! thx u for the warmth sent.i feel it

sassy--again,thx for reminder of foster care. yes...so many kids out there need someone!!
hope you and fran are doing ok.

theresa--thx. where u been? miss u, girl!!

storm-thx. i need a hug and i LOVE hugs!! thx

zanne- your comment made me smile and feel so warm. u are very kind.thx

fairy--sounds wonderful what u did. what a great moment! thx for sharing


thank u all for the insightful comments. much appreciated

afuntanilla said...

trin- yes, i would be MORTIFIED if they wanted to be ice scoop girl.

r.d. -- THANK U for all you say! you didn't come across as wanting to "fix it" and even if u did, it would be fine. the post it just put out there and folks are free to say what they want or nothing at all. and i really know what u mean by just sitting with it....i think its great when people instinctively know when to say nothing when sharing with them in person. more difficult to do on blog. your unique comments are always welcome. your perspective is unique and appreciated!!

zoe- thx for mentioning foster care. i kinda forgot about that. i ralize that is an option...who knows...

kelly-- i know u get is especially being an only child. thanks, girl!!

only daughter-- u are right!! thx u for the warmth sent.i feel it

sassy--again,thx for reminder of foster care. yes...so many kids out there need someone!!
hope you and fran are doing ok.

theresa--thx. where u been? miss u, girl!!

storm-thx. i need a hug and i LOVE hugs!! thx

zanne- your comment made me smile and feel so warm. u are very kind.thx

fairy--sounds wonderful what u did. what a great moment! thx for sharing


thank u all for the insightful comments. much appreciated